Saturday, February 28, 2015

Part 2: Jr. Worlds

So today will be part two of my three part blog post.

By the time the first race rolled around in Minsk I was feeling about the same as four days prior: a light head cold with a really runny nose. The only problem was in between I was sick as a dog. I was constantly blowing my nose, felt really light headed and was having trouble sleeping. But somehow I still felt better than the individual in Estonia


The individual is a tough race. It’s the longest (15K) and the penalties are 1 min (not a penalty loop). This race usually favors the best shooters. My 2-0-3-1 shooting was way off the mark to consider having a good race. Although the skiing felt better, I was still watching people fly by me.

The range from the coaches box. That hill was completely green by the last race.


There were two huge monitors for the spectators viewing pleasure

The long down hill range approach 

Dynamo Minsk Arena. I guess the Canadians went to a game and said they were pretty bad.

Hotel Sport Time!

The Stadium and media rooms above the stands.

Another view of the range

In the sprint I told myself to quit it with the excuses and just race. Start fast, pick it up and finish strong.  On the way to the venue I was reminiscing of the days fatigue was a stranger: in Lake Placid when I could race the Bill Koch race in the morning, then spend the rest of the day doing endless intervals up and down the hill with the flags. Not because I was on some crazy training schedule, but because I loved to ski and I loved to go fast. So for the sprint I wanted to feel how I did then. The plan worked for the most part. My skiing was much faster. But it came at a price. I went in and out of tunnel vision three times during the race. And apparently I wasn’t skiing too fast because I still failed to make the pursuit. Shooting 3-0 I thought it would have been at least good enough to place in the late 50’s but no. 67th was where I ended up.

I was not upset after the race. Long before the start I had accepted the fact I was not feeling well therefore not skiing well.* (that last sentence has an * because it is very complicated, I am still trying to put into words my feeling this past training and racing year. But that is what tomorrow’s post will be about. So tune in tomorrow to get the full low down on my thoughts surrounding the constant fatigue you have been reading about). I was just doing a lot of thinking about why I’m feeling this way and what has led up to this feeling?

Sean on the podium after the sprint.

The team cheering on Sean at the award ceremony.
Mikaela made a new friend!

Cam Christensen and I cheering on the pursuers 


The relay was more of the same: shooting I would consider acceptable and skiing that was slower than grass trying to grow in December. But it happened and that’s all I really have to say about it.

But let’s end on a high note! The sun finally came out and I will admit it did make the city look a little more inviting. We got to see the KGB headquarters (pictures were forbidden) and despite the melting snow the venue was really nice. They had three ranges and a rollerski highway. The wax cabins and team rooms were like little apartments. A training camp there in the summer could be pretty neat. The noise on the course from all the fans was incredible. The fans there treated it like a world cup race. Noise makers, yelling, screaming, chanting, picture taking and flags. But of course the best part of European racing are seeing all your friends from different countries. Every trip I try to get to know another team better. This time it was the Germans. “Servus!" They are a pretty cool team and I wish them all the best.

The view from the team room. we could spy on other teams.
A better look at the inside of our team room
Team USA junior men's team

The crazy loud crowd. it was like this all around the 3.3K loop

Sean posing with the play ground we frequented. it was perfect for some playground strength.
Notice the construction in the background.

Watching them watching us

They're not even trying to hide the fact they are watching us.

Tomorrow will be the most important and deepest blog post to date. I’ve been thinking of how to write it and I always start getting into some deep thoughts so we we'll see what happens.








No comments:

Post a Comment