Monday, June 9, 2014

Back On That Training Grind

Week one of Fort Kent living is in the books and I am finally back to full time training. (I know I was boring a lot of you with golf course stuff). It is good to be back in “The County” there has been beautiful weather so far, except the drive up, which was pretty rainy and miserable. But, as I sit here on this beautifully warm spring afternoon, in this relaxing rocking chair looking down the St. John Valley at the U.S. and Canada fitting together like a puzzle, seemed together by the St. John River, I can honestly say, it is good to be back.

view of Canada from the house


Since getting here on Wednesday I have been hard at work training. Mountain bikes in Canada, rollerskis at the 10th Mountain Outdoor Center, runs down the never ending Heritage ATV Trail and even some shooting. Getting back on that training grind makes me feel so at home, and even motivates me to work harder. 

Biking down by the range

Before and after of my and Casey's bike ride.
It's hard to tell but in the "after" we're very dirty

As much of a physical sport biathlon is, it’s an even more mental sport. And this year I have decided to up my mental game. I have been reading a book called “Mind Gym” by Gary Mack. This book has been great in pointing out what the difference is between athletes with good talent and those who become legends. I definitely recommend this book to anyone looking to up their game on the field, trails, court or even at the office or place of work. These techniques can help you in everyday life if applied correctly. Another book recommended is “With Winning in Mind” by Lany Bassham. I read it last year and will be reading it again soon.

On the maintenance side of life, I had to replace a flat tire after a ride on Sunday. The spare tube I had had a hole in it so that was no good. However, I was able to find another tube in my bag of assorted stuff. unfortunately that one exploded in my hand because I pumped it up too much (I don't think I pumped it up too much, It said 65 PSI and it was only at 50 at the time). Anyway the blast was enough to wake up the neighbors little yipe dog. On a brighter side, my Coach Seth and I put the finishing touches on my new stock (hand piece, staining, you know rifle stuff), Thanks for stopping by, feel free to send me a friend request on Facebook and follow my on Twitter @bhbiathlon and Instagram @brhalligan4

Aftermath of the explosion


Your song of the week is...
"Stolen Dance" by Milkey Chance



No comments:

Post a Comment